Wehrlein has previously served as reserve driver of the Mercedes team, having been rewarded by the German manufacturer for becoming the youngest DTM race winner, when he won at the Lausitzring. He was also announced to be a test driver for Force India, completing several tests for the team. He had his first season of Formula One in 2016 at the Manor Racing F1 Team. Wehrlein had backing from Mercedes, and came to F1 as the reigning DTM Champion.
In addition to his DTM achievements, Wehrlein was 2011 ADAC Formel Masters champion.
Formula One CareerEdit
Wehrlein started his racing career in karting, progressing through several Championships to the ADAC Formel Masters Championship in 2010, before claiming that title in 2011. His career then moved into the Formula 3 Euro Series for 2012, with Wehrlein just beaten to the title by Daniel Juncadella. The German then moved to the DTM with Mercedes, becoming the youngest race winner in 2014, before winning the 2015 Championship on the eve of his 21st birthday.
Mercedes Motivation: 2014 - 2015Edit
Wehrlein's success with Mercedes in DTM saw him rewarded with a series of tests for the Mercedes Grand Prix team in 2014, before stepping up to a full reserve driver role in 2015. During 2015, Wehrlein would also complete several tests for Force India alongside rival Juncadella, having joined the revived Mercedes Young Driver Programme with Christian Vietoris and Robert Wickens.
Moving Manors: 2016Edit
His DTM Championship victory saw Wehrlein immediately rumoured to be joining Manor Racing, particularly after it was revealed that the British team would be using Mercedes engines in 2016. Yet, neither team nor driver commented until the 10th of February 2016, when Wehrlein was confirmed as the lead driver for Manor for 2016, with #94 as his race number, the same as the German had used in the DTM. The deal itself was arranged by Mercedes Boss Toto Wolff, which also allowed Manor access to use Mercedes' wind tunnel. He scored his first point in the Austrian Grand Prix, having finished tenth.
Formula One Statistical OverviewEdit
Formula One RecordEdit
|Year||Entrant||Team||WDC Points||WDC Pos.||Report|
|2014||Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team||Mercedes||Test Driver|
|2015||Sahara Force India F1 Team||Force India-Mercedes||Test Driver|
|Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team||Mercedes|
|2016||Manor Racing MRT||Manor-Mercedes||1||19th||Report|
|2017||Sauber F1 Team||Sauber-Ferrari||5||16th||Report|
Correct as of the 2017 Hungarian Grand Prix qualifying
|Front Row Starts||0|
|Distance Raced||7477 km|
|Distance Led||0 km|
|Win Number||Grand Prix|
|Complete Formula One results|
|3rd||DNQ||Did not qualify|
|5th||Points finish||DNPQ||Did not pre-qualify|
|14th||Non-points finish||TD||Test driver|
|NC||Non-classified finish (<90% race distance)||DNS||Did not start|
|[+] More Symbols|
- ↑ Barretto, Lawrence (16 January 2017). "Sauber F1 team signs Pascal Wehrlein for 2017 season". http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/127755/sauber-signs-wehrlein-for-2017. Retrieved 16 January 2017.
- ↑ "Mercedes: Teenager Pascal Wehrlein named reserve driver". 15 September 2014. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/29206945. Retrieved 18 February 2015.
- ↑ "Force India to run Mercedes' Wehrlein at Barcelona test". formula1.com. 18 February 2015. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2015/2/16817.html. Retrieved 18 February 2015.
- ↑ 'Pascal Wehrlein to drive for Manor in 2016 Formula 1 season', bbc.co.uk, (BBC Sport, 10/02/2016), http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/35538851, (Accessed 10/02/2016)
- ↑ "Manor sign rookie Wehrlein to lead 2016 F1 attack". Formula1.com. Formula One Administration. 10 February 2016. http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/latest/headlines/2016/2/manor-sign-rookie-wehrlein-to-lead-2016-attack.html. Retrieved 12 February 2016.
- ↑ "Wehrlein to use number 94 in Formula 1". 10 February 2016. http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/335362/wehrlein-to-use-number-94-in-formula-1/. Retrieved 12 February 2016.
- ↑ Parkes, Ian (10 February 2016). "Manor strengthens Mercedes link with Pascal Wehrlein 2016 F1 deal". http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/122757. Retrieved 12 February 2016.
|V T E||Mercedes Grand Prix|
44. Lewis Hamilton · 77. Valtteri Bottas
Juan Manuel Fangio (1954, 1955) · Lewis Hamilton (2014, 2015) · Nico Rosberg (2016)
Michael Schumacher · Juan Manuel Fangio · Nico Rosberg · Hans Herrmann · Karl Kling · Stirling Moss · André Simon · Piero Taruffi · Hermann Lang
Nick Fry · Bob Bell · Aldo Costa · Toto Wolff
Norbert Haug · Alfred Neubauer · Max Sailer · Rudolf Uhlenhaut · Paddy Lowe
W196 · W01 · W02 · W03 · W04 · W05 · W06 · W07 · W08
|V T E||Force India|
11. Sergio Pérez · 31. Esteban Ocon
Vijay Mallya · Otmar Szafnauer · Andrew Green
Giancarlo Fisichella · Vitantonio Liuzzi · Adrian Sutil · Paul di Resta · Nico Hülkenberg
Force India VJM01 · VJM02 · VJM03 · VJM04 · VJM05 · VJM06 · VJM07 · VJM08 · VJM09 · VJM10
|V T E||Manor F1|
Esteban Ocon · Pascal Wehrlein · Rio Haryanto
Stephen Fitzpatrick · Dave Ryan · John McQuilliam · Nicholas Tombazis · Pat Fry
MRT05 · MRT06 (unraced)
Manor Marussia F1 Team
|V T E||Sauber F1 Team|
9. Marcus Ericsson · 94. Pascal Wehrlein
Frédéric Vasseur · Pascal Picci · Alex Sauber · Eric Gandelin · Timothée Guerin · Axel Kruse · Beat Zehnder
Nasr · Hülkenberg · Pérez · Kobayashi · Kubica · Heidfeld · Räikkönen · more
Ilmor (1993) · Mercedes (1994) · Ford (1995-96) · Petronas (1997-2005) · Ferrari (2010-present)
C12 · C13 · C14 · C15 · C16 · C17 · C18 · C19 · C20 · C21 · C22 · C23 · C24 · C29 · C30 · C31 · C32 · C33 · C34 · C35 · C36
|v·d·e||Nominate this page for Featured Article|