The game was first announced at the San Diego Comic-Con International on July 14, 2012, and was released in Europe and North America in November 2012 for PS3, Xbox 360 and Windows, whose versions are all based on the 2012 Formula One season. It was released on just the PS3 and Xbox 360 in Japan on March 7, 2013. On June 27, 2013, the game was released as F1 Race Stars: Powered Up Edition for the Wii U in Japan physically. It was later released in the Nintendo eShop for North America and Europe on January 16, 2014, and iOS devices on May 22, 2014, which the latter is based on the 2013 season. An Android version is also in the works.
Every driver and team in the 2012 Formula One season are playable on the console versions of the game, along with two fictional teams: TecNova-Star, with female drivers Ruby Power and Jessica Chekker; and Satsu-Aceler, with male driver Josh Merit and female driver Kira Hoshihara. The Xbox 360 version also allows players to use their Xbox Avatar, while the Wii U version makes the players able to play as their Miis. On the iOS version, the drivers and teams from the 2013 season are used instead (e.g. Lewis Hamilton in Mercedes instead of McLaren).
11 circuits from the 2012 season are available to choose by default on the console versions, but have modifications so that the gameplay is suited (e.g. some parts of the Yas Marina Circuit have been modified to be based on the rollercoaster Formula Rossa at Ferrari World). The Valencia Street Circuit, Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, Shanghai International Circuit and Buddh International Circuit are also available as downloadable content on the PS3, Xbox 360 and Windows versions, along with 9 accessory packs. The GAME stores and sites in the UK also include an edition of the game with an exclusive code to download the Valencia Street Circuit for free. The Sepang International Circuit, Bahrain International Circuit, Circuit de Catalunya, Hungaroring and Korea International Circuit are the only circuits of 2012 that aren't included. All of the DLC are already included on the Wii U version, which does not include online multiplayer, but does support the GamePad (including Off-TV Play), Classic Controller, Pro Controller and Wiimote. The iOS version has 15 circuits from the 2013 season with 40 locations.
Each of the tracks have a KERS system on their corners which give players a boost after reaching the end of the blue arrows on the tracks. The speed of the boost is increased if players tap the brake and accelerate buttons on their game controllers several times while staying on the arrows. There are also Item Boxes, where players are able to use weapons to get ahead. If their car gets hit by a weapon, it will get damaged, meaning that the players will have to go to the pits to maintain top speed.
The game received mostly positive reviews from game critics.
Liam Martin of Digital Spy gave the game a positive review, scoring it a 3/5, saying "F1 Race Stars doesn't quite dethrone Mario Kart, but it's certainly a great game for families and younger Formula One fans." Nofi of The Sixth Axis scored the game 6/10, saying "It's still a decent title for the younger ones, but it's in real danger of missing the one crucial element that all games like this should have: simple, fun handling."
Richard Walker of Xbox Achievements also gave a positive review, scoring the game 80, saying "Another string to Codemasters Racing's bow, F1 Race Stars is a neat kart racing game that appeals to kids and big kids alike." Mark E. Johnson of Spong gave a score of 7/10, saying "If the idea of a smarter karting game appeals to you and/or you're an F1 nut, you'll get a few good hours out of F1 Race Stars." Nick Akerman of Game Watcher also gave a score of 7/10, saying "Racing fans will enjoy the connection to real world F1-from safety cars that slow down the entire pack to boost-providing KERS-while others will never notice the attempt to make such a connection." Daniel Krupa of IGN gave the game a score of 5.2, saying "F1 Race Stars is a limp caricature of a kart racer. Charming but not enough to forgive its frustrating gameplay."
Sam White of Official Xbox Magazine gave a score of 7, saying "The result is a title that feels like it's gripped by identity crisis, unable to let go of its F1 origins to the degree required to be a great karting game. Instead, we get a curious hybrid that's fun, but not essential for either end of the market." Matt Elliott of Official PlayStation Magazine also gave the game a score of 7, saying "It's a chocolate pretzel of a racer that's worth a spin for anyone looking to avoid the chin-stroking of F1 2012."
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Robinson, Martin (13 July 2012). "Codemasters announces F1 Race Stars". Eurogamer (Eurogamer Network Ltd.). http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-13-codemasters-announces-f1-race-stars. Retrieved 10 December 2014.
- ↑ "Codemasters – Formula One™ Goes Over The Top This November With F1 Race Stars™". Codemasters. 13 July 2012. http://www.codemasters.com/uk/f1racestars/360/article/formula-one-goes-over-the-top-this-november-with-f1-race-stars-from-codemasters-racing/. Retrieved 10 December 2014.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Manuel, Rob (13 July 2012). "F1 Race Stars Announced – Official Comic-Con 2012 News". G4TV.com (G4 TV). http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/725877/f1-race-stars-announced-official-comic-con-2012-news/. Retrieved 10 December 2014.
- ↑ Robinson, Andy (13 July 2012). "Codies unveils F1 arcade racer - First trailer, details". Computer and Video Games (Future Publishing). http://www.computerandvideogames.com/357897/f1-race-stars-first-trailer-screens-and-details/. Retrieved 10 December 2014.
- ↑ "F1 RACE STARS Release On 7th of March, 2013 In Japan". Senpai Gamer. 6 November 2012. http://www.senpaigamer.com/sony-playstation/f1-race-stars-release-7th-march-2013-japan-11062012-1009. Retrieved 10 December 2014.
- ↑ "F1 All Stars Powered Up Edition dated for Japan". Nintendo Everything. 29 March 2013. http://nintendoeverything.com/f1-all-stars-powered-up-edition-dated-for-japan/. Retrieved 10 December 2014.
- ↑ "F1 RACE STARS™: POWERED UP EDITION LAUNCHES TODAY FOR Wii U™". Codemasters. 6 January 2014. http://www.codemasters.com/uk/f1racestars/360/article/f1-race-stars-powered-up-edition-launches-today-for-wii-u/. Retrieved 10 December 2014.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 "F1 RACE STARS™ POWERSLIDES ONTO iPhone, iPad AND iPod touch". Codemasters. 22 May 2014. http://www.codemasters.com/uk/f1racestars/360/article/f1-race-stars-powerslides-onto-iphone-ipad-and-ipod-touch/. Retrieved 10 December 2014.
- ↑ "F1 RACE STARS Twitter (4:06 AM - 24 May 2014 Tweet)". Twitter. https://twitter.com/F1RaceStars/status/470158820959076353. Retrieved 10 December 2014.
- ↑ F1 RACE STARS™
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 "FORMULA ONE™ GETS POWERED-UP THIS WEEK AS F1 RACE STARS™ SHIPS TO STORES!". Codemasters. 13 November 2012. http://www.codemasters.com/uk/f1racestars/360/article/formula-one-gets-powered-up-this-week-as-f1-race-stars-ships-to-stores/. Retrieved 10 December 2014.
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Calvert, Darren (18 January 2014). "Interview: Codemasters - F1 Race Stars: Powered Up Edition". Nintendo Life. http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/01/interview_codemasters_f1_race_stars_powered_up_edition. Retrieved 10 December 2014.
- ↑ "FOUR NEW TRACKS FOR F1 RACE STARS™ AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD FROM TODAY". Codemasters. 8 January 2013. http://www.codemasters.com/uk/article/four-new-tracks-for-f1-race-stars-available-for-download-from-today/. Retrieved 10 December 2014.
- ↑ Marley, Scott (8 January 2013). "New F1 Race Stars DLC includes 4 new tracks". Daily Record. http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/video-games/video-games-news/new-f1-race-stars-dlc-1524232. Retrieved 10 December 2014.
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 "F1 RACE STARS™ on Steam". Steam. http://store.steampowered.com/app/203680/. Retrieved 10 December 2014.
- ↑ Martin, Liam (13 November 2012). "'F1 Race Stars' review (PS3): Lacking courses, but full of charm". Digital Spy. http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/review/a437653/f1-race-stars-review-ps3-lacking-courses-but-full-of-charm.html#~oY581jKeTMw628. Retrieved 10 December 2014.
- ↑ "F1 Race Stars Review (PS3, Xbox 360)". 13 November 2012. http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2012/11/13/f1-race-stars-review-ps3-xbox-360/. Retrieved 10 December 2014.
- ↑ Walker, Richard (13 November 2012). "F1 Race Stars Review". Xbox Achievements. http://www.xboxachievements.com/game/f1-race-stars/review/. Retrieved 10 December 2014.
- ↑ Johnson, Mark (13 November 2012). "F1 Race Stars - Review". Spong. http://spong.com/feature/10110844/Review-F1-Race-Stars. Retrieved 10 December 2014.
- ↑ Akerman, Nick (13 November 2012). "F1 Race Stars Review". GameWatcher.com. http://www.gamewatcher.com/reviews/f1-race-stars-review/8988. Retrieved 10 December 2014.
- ↑ Krupa, Daniel (13 November 2012). "F1 Race Stars Review". ign.com. IGN. http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/11/13/f1-race-stars-review. Retrieved 10 December 2014.
- ↑ White, Sam (13 November 2012). "Review: F1 Race Stars". Official Xbox Magazine. http://www.totalxbox.com/47603/reviews/f1-race-stars-review/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=OXM-General-RSS. Retrieved 10 December 2014.
- ↑ Elliott, Matt (13 November 2012). "F1 Race Stars PS3 review – A podium position, but no championship win". Official PlayStation Magazine. http://www.officialplaystationmagazine.co.uk/review/f1-race-stars-ps3-review-a-podium-position-but-no-championship-win/. Retrieved 10 December 2014.