The 2016 Spanish Grand Prix (officially the Formula 1 Gran Premio de España Pirelli 2016) was the fifth race of the 2016 Formula One season, the 26th time the Spanish Grand Prix has been held at the Circuit de Catalunya, and the 57th Spanish Grand Prix. It was held between 13 May and 15 May 2016.
Lewis Hamilton took his second pole position at the Circuit de Catalunya ahead of his teammate Nico Rosberg, but at the start of the race, both of them crashed on the approach to Turn 4, leaving the rest of the race without a Mercedes car driving. At his first race for Red Bull, Max Verstappen took his first ever win, setting numerous records such as becoming the youngest driver and the first Dutchman to win a Grand Prix. The two Ferraris joined him on the podium, with Kimi Räikkönen second and Sebastian Vettel third.
- * Magnussen was given a ten-second time penalty for colliding with Palmer, thus demoting him from fourteenth to fifteenth.
- Kevin Magnussen's 25th entry (24th start).
- Max Verstappen's first win, in the process becoming both the youngest driver to ever win a race and the first Dutch driver to win a Grand Prix.
- It was also Verstappen's first podium finish.
- Verstappen also became the first Dutch driver to lead an F1 lap.
- Daniil Kvyat's first fastest lap.
Standings after raceEdit
- ↑ "Formula 1 Gran Premio de España Pirelli 2016". formula1.com. Formula One Administration. http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/championship/races/2016/Spain.html. Retrieved 17 May 2016.
- ↑ "Spain stats - Verstappen surpasses Vettel as F1’s youngest winner". formula1.com (Formula One Administration). 15 May 2016. https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/features/2016/5/f1-spain-verstappen-f1-history-youngest-stats.html. Retrieved 2 January 2017.
- ↑ "2016 Spanish Grand Prix – Qualifying results". Formula1.com (Formula One Administration). 14 May 2016. https://www.formula1.com/en/championship/results/2016-race-results/2016-spain-results/qualifying.html. Retrieved 2 January 2017.
- ↑ "Spanish Grand Prix 2016 Race Results". formula1.com (Formula One Administration). 15 May 2016. http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/championship/results/2016-race-results/2016-spain-results/race.html. Retrieved 3 January 2017.
- ↑ "Magnussen penalised for intra-Renault clash". Formula1.com. Formula One World Championship Limited. 15 May 2016. https://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/latest/headlines/2016/5/magnussen-penalised-for-intra-renault-clash.html. Retrieved 3 January 2017.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Collantine, Keith (15 May 2016). "2016 Spanish Grand Prix championship points". F1 Fanatic (Keith Collantine). http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/05/15/2016-spanish-grand-prix-championship-points/. Retrieved 31 May 2016.