The Second 2015 Barcelona Test was the third official test session of the 2015 Formula One season. It took place between February 26 and March 1, 2015 over four days. The circuit is the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, located in Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain.
Manor and Caterham did not attend the test. Fernando Alonso did not take part after a crash on the final day of the first Barcelona test. Kevin Magnussen, a test and reserve driver of McLaren, took over. Force India first used the Force India VJM08 when it arrived at the circuit on the second day.
Driver running orderEdit
McLaren once again had a day full of problems when Jenson Button's car received a hydraulic leak after he completed seven laps. The time to change the car's power unit meant that the team could not run again for the day. There was also a mechanical problem for Mercedes, when the MGU-K on Lewis Hamilton's car failed, forcing him to miss the afternoon session with the third fastest time at the end. He explained: "I don't think it's dented anything. Testing is difficult. Of course, if you can have the whole day and it's sunny and the tyres are working every time you can go out and do tons and tons of changes and learn things about where you want to put the car. So, naturally, that is what we are missing."
Only a few minutes after the morning session began, Daniil Kvyat's car stopped in the pit lane, bringing out the red flags. He was fourth fastest ahead of Romain Grosjean, the fastest driver from the previous Barcelona test. Toro Rosso added radical revisions such as a new front nose to their STR10 car. Carlos Sainz, Jr. made the red flags come out a second time when his car stopped at Turn 10. He was, however, able to take part in the final 30 minutes of the session, setting the seventh fastest time. Because the VJM08 car would not arrive in Barcelona until the second day, Force India did not attend on the first day.
The fastest time, 1:23.500, was set by Williams' driver Felipe Massa, who was 0.776 seconds faster than Sauber's Marcus Ericsson. Speaking afterwards, Massa said: "I think we needed to prove that we are there in the fight, we don't know how much with Mercedes, but to the others I think we are there. I am pretty happy, but it is still early."
For the first time, Force India's VJM08 car was used, but in the afternoon session. Nico Hülkenberg, who drove for the team on the second day, was ninth fastest with 77 laps. McLaren were more successful when Button completed 101 laps and set the fifth fastest time, although his car came to a halt between Turns 7 and 8 soon before the end of the session, bringing out the red flags.
Kvyat was eighth in the results, following a hydraulic sensor issue to which Red Bull instructed him to stop while on track, causing the first stoppage. Max Verstappen had his running cut slightly short when his car suffered from an electrical problem after getting the seventh fastest time. He said: "Another good day as we did a lot of laps. From my perspective, the most important part was this afternoon's race distance, when the pace looked very promising. It was my first time driving the car with the latest updates and they seemed to be working very well and I felt very comfortable with it."
The final red flag came out a few minutes before the end of the session when Pastor Maldonado came to a halt at the end of the pit lane.
Nico Rosberg brought Mercedes back to the top with a time of 1:22.792, 1.203 seconds ahead of Valtteri Bottas. He said afterwards: "We are confident that we have a good car because we have a great team at the moment, but at the same time we are also well aware that the others have been posting some quick times and keep working. Today was a difficult day because even though all the numbers looked like they were in the right place in the set up, actually the set up was very, very far away from where it needed to be and we don’t really understand that."
Kevin Magnussen drove for McLaren on the third day, getting the eighth fastest time of 1:25.225, but his run ended early when his car suffered an oil leak after completing 39 laps. Only two red-flag stoppages occurred in the sessions, both in the last hour when Ericsson and Sainz, Jr.'s cars came to a stop at Turn 3 at different times. Sainz was fourth fastest, while Ericsson was sixth, with Grosjean's time between them.
Hülkenberg was able to set the seventh fastest time of 1:24.939 and complete 158 laps in Force India's VJM08. Daniel Ricciardo was the slowest of all the drivers. Räikkönen was able to complete a full race simulation for Ferrari for the first time in the 2015 pre-season, getting the third fastest time of 1:23.276.
Despite not reaching 100 laps and setting a time quicker than Rosberg, Hamilton set the fastest time of 1:23.022, 0.24 seconds ahead of Massa, after Mercedes did "experimental" set-up changes to his car for four hours going through the lunch break. Hamilton said afterwards: "It wasn't a spectacular day. The track seemed to have lost some grip to the last two days so it wasn't the best in terms of feeling but we got some running done and I feel good in the car."
The final day of the final pre-season testing still gave technical problems to McLaren, where Button could only do two untimed laps in the morning session before the car's power unit had to be removed due to a sensor problem. Completing only 30 laps in the afternoon session, Button set the eighth fastest time ahead of Maldonado, who had his day cut short when he crashed into the barriers at Turn 4. Lotus believed that the accident was caused by an issue from the system compromising his braking.
Sergio Pérez was able to complete 130 laps in his first use of the VJM08, and get into sixth place in the results of the fourth day. Ricciardo finished fifth with 72 laps after an ERS issue stopped him at the end of the pit lane following the first hour of the session, forcing him to stay in Red Bull's pit garage for most of the morning. Verstappen's driving was also interrupted when his car received an engine issue midway through the afternoon, but he managed to get back out before the chequered flag and get the fourth fastest time.
Despite being seventh, Rosberg said afterwards that "I'm pleased with the winter but that's not to say that the others aren't quick. It's a challenge to get these cars perfect and it is still a big challenge because we are so early in the season." Bottas set the fastest time of 1:23.063 ahead of Vettel and Nasr, saying afterwards: "It was a really good day and a great way to finish the test. One of the main points we have learnt is that the FW37 is very reliable. The car we are taking to Melbourne is very competitive and should make for an interesting start to the season."
|Feb 26||Felipe Massa||Williams-Mercedes||FW37||1:23.500|
|Feb 27||Nico Rosberg||Mercedes||W06 Hybrid||1:22.792|
|Feb 28||Lewis Hamilton||Mercedes||W06 Hybrid||1:23.022|
|Mar 1||Valtteri Bottas||Williams-Mercedes||FW37||1:23.063|
Day One, 26 FebruaryEdit
|3||Lewis Hamilton||Mercedes||W06 Hybrid||1:24.881||+1.381||48|
|4||Daniil Kvyat||Red Bull-Renault||RB11||1:25.947||+1.447||75|
|5||Romain Grosjean||Lotus-Mercedes||E23 Hybrid||1:26.177||+1.677||75|
|7||Carlos Sainz, Jr.||Toro Rosso-Renault||STR10||1:26.962||+2.462||86|
Day Two, 27 FebruaryEdit
|1||Nico Rosberg||Mercedes||W06 Hybrid||1:22.792||106|
|6||Pastor Maldonado||Lotus-Mercedes||E23 Hybrid||1:26.705||+3.913||140|
|7||Max Verstappen||Toro Rosso-Renault||STR10||1:26.766||+3.974||139|
|8||Daniil Kvyat||Red Bull-Renault||RB11||1:26.965||+4.173||84|
|9||Nico Hülkenberg||Force India-Mercedes||VJM08||1:28.412||+5.620||77|
Day Three, 28 FebruaryEdit
|1||Lewis Hamilton||Mercedes||W06 Hybrid||1:23.022||76|
|4||Carlos Sainz, Jr.||Toro Rosso-Renault||STR10||1:24.191||+1.179||132|
|5||Romain Grosjean||Lotus-Mercedes||E23 Hybrid||1:24.200||+1.178||116|
|7||Nico Hülkenberg||Force India-Mercedes||VJM08||1:24.939||+1.917||139|
|9||Daniel Ricciardo||Red Bull-Renault||RB11||1:25.742||+2.720||128|
Day Four, 1 MarchEdit
|4||Max Verstappen||Toro Rosso-Renault||STR10||1:24.527||+1.464||85|
|5||Daniel Ricciardo||Red Bull-Renault||RB11||1:24.638||+1.575||72|
|6||Sergio Pérez||Force India-Mercedes||VJM08||1:25.113||+2.050||130|
|7||Nico Rosberg||Mercedes||W06 Hybrid||1:25.186||+2.123||148|
|9||Pastor Maldonado||Lotus-Mercedes||E23 Hybrid||1:28.272||+5.209||36|
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Collantine, Keith (25 February 2015). "Driver line-up set for final pre-season test of 2015". F1 Fanatic (Keith Collantine). http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2015/02/25/driver-line-up-set-for-final-pre-season-test-of-2015/. Retrieved 25 February 2015.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 "Statement regarding Fernando Alonso". McLaren.com (McLaren). 25 February 2015. http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/inside-the-mtc/statement-regarding-fernando-alonso/. Retrieved 25 February 2015.
- ↑ "Q&A with Otmar Szafnauer". forceindiaf1.com (Force India). 25 February 2015. http://forceindiaf1.com/Home/News?pageId=449ca0a8-1b67-4e65-8aa8-2bb7a4e39471. Retrieved 25 February 2015. "The VJM08 will arrive in Barcelona on Friday morning and the final set up will take place in the garage at the track. We are aiming to get out on Friday and the new car will run as much as possible over the weekend."
- ↑ "Final test session in Barcelona". Scuderia Ferrari (Ferrari). 25 February 2015. http://formula1.ferrari.com/news/final-test-session-barcelona. Retrieved 25 February 2015.
- ↑ "Sahara Force India Twitter (1:15 AM - 26 Feb 2015 Tweet)". twitter.com. Twitter. 26 February 2015. https://twitter.com/ForceIndiaF1/status/570874681848434688. Retrieved 26 February 2015.
- ↑ "Sahara Force India Twitter (1:15 AM - 26 Feb 2015 Tweet)". twitter.com. Twitter. 26 February 2015. https://twitter.com/ForceIndiaF1/status/570874788664778752. Retrieved 26 February 2015.
- ↑ Paddock, Dan (23 February 2015). "Lotus reveals line-up for final Barcelona test". RichlandF1. http://richlandf1.com/?p=33834. Retrieved 24 February 2015.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Galloway, James (26 February 2015). "McLaren call a halt to Day One running after just seven laps at Barcelona test". Sky Sports. http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/24180/9732844/mclaren-call-a-halt-to-day-one-running-after-just-seven-laps-at-barcelona-test. Retrieved 26 February 2015.
- ↑ "McLaren Twitter (9:13 AM - 27 Feb 2015 Tweet)". twitter.com. Twitter. 27 February 2015. https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/571357535170650112. Retrieved 27 February 2015.
- ↑ "McLaren Twitter (11:50 PM - 28 Feb 2015 Tweet)". twitter.com. Twitter. 1 March 2015. https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/571940434571878400. Retrieved 1 March 2015.
- ↑ "MERCEDES AMG F1 Twitter (6:03 AM - 24 Feb 2015 Tweet)". twitter.com. Twitter. 24 February 2015. https://twitter.com/MercedesAMGF1/status/570222478607437824. Retrieved 24 February 2015.
- ↑ "Sauber F1 Team Twitter (3:42 AM - 25 Feb 2015 Tweet)". twitter.com. Twitter. 25 February 2015. https://twitter.com/SauberF1Team/status/570549347282231296. Retrieved 25 February 2015.
- ↑ "Red Bull Racing Twitter (5:16 AM - 24 Feb 2015 Tweet)". twitter.com. Twitter. 24 February 2015. https://twitter.com/redbullracing/status/570210548610150400. Retrieved 24 February 2015.
- ↑ "Toro Rosso Twitter (12:00 PM - 25 Feb 2015 Tweet)". twitter.com. Twitter. 25 February 2015. https://twitter.com/ToroRossoSpy/status/570674677242318849. Retrieved 25 February 2015.
- ↑ "WILLIAMS RACING Twitter (3:01 AM - 24 Feb 2015 Tweet)". twitter.com. Twitter. 24 February 2015. https://twitter.com/WilliamsRacing/status/570176675775975424. Retrieved 24 February 2015.
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 16.2 16.3 "Massa fastest for Williams as McLaren toil on day one". formula1.com. 26 February 2015. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2015/2/16840.html. Retrieved 26 February 2015.
- ↑ "Mercedes W06 feels as good as predecessor - Hamilton". ESPN F1. ESPN Sport UK. 26 February 2015. http://www.espn.co.uk/mercedes/motorsport/story/192703.html. Retrieved 27 February 2015.
- ↑ Gill, Pete (26 February 2015). "Barcelona test: Felipe Massa reveals Williams' pace, McLaren struggle again". Sky Sports. http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/9733136/barcelona-test-felipe-massa-reveals-williams-pace-mclaren-struggle-again. Retrieved 26 February 2015.
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 19.2 19.3 19.4 "Force India’s VJM08 makes belated track debut". formula1.com. 27 February 2015. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2015/2/16841.html. Retrieved 27 February 2015.
- ↑ Quigley, Declan (27 February 2015). "BARCELONA FINAL TEST, DAY TWO: MERCEDES CLEAR OF THE PACK". James Allen on F1 (James Allen). http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2015/02/barcelona-final-test-day-two-mercedes-clear-of-the-pack/. Retrieved 27 February 2015.
- ↑ Esler, William (27 February 2015). "Nico Rosberg sets fastest lap of Barcelona tests and then says W06 was misbehaving!". Sky Sports. http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/24207/9735272/nico-rosberg-sets-fastest-lap-of-barcelona-tests-and-then-says-w06-was-misbehaving. Retrieved 27 February 2015.
- ↑ 22.0 22.1 22.2 22.3 Galloway, James (28 February 2015). "Barcelona tests: Lewis Hamilton warms up for title defence with fastest time". Sky Sports. http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/9737049/barcelona-tests-lewis-hamilton-warms-up-for-title-defence-with-fastest-time. Retrieved 28 February 2015.
- ↑ 23.0 23.1 "Hamilton doubles up for Mercedes in Spain". formula1.com. 28 February 2015. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2015/2/16847.html. Retrieved 28 February 2015.
- ↑ Benson, Andrew (28 February 2015). "Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton tops penultimate day of testing". BBC Sport. British Broadcasting Corporation. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/31677491. Retrieved 28 February 2015.
- ↑ 25.0 25.1 25.2 25.3 "Bottas puts Williams on top on final day of pre-season testing". formula1.com. 1 March 2015. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2015/3/16848.html. Retrieved 1 March 2015.
- ↑ Hynes, Justin (1 March 2015). "Barcelona Final Test, Day Four: Bottas fastest, next stop Melbourne". James Allen on F1 (James Allen). http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2015/03/barcelona-final-test-day-four-bottas-fastest-next-stop-melbourne/. Retrieved 2 March 2015.
- ↑ Gill, Pete (1 March 2015). "German sets fastest lap in Barcelona and also records more laps than any other driver in pre-season testing". Sky Sports. http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/24207/9739086/nico-rosberg-feeling-optimistic-for-the-2015-f1-season-after-a-perfect-winter. Retrieved 2 March 2015.
|v·d·e||Nominate this page for Featured Article|